The transition from high school student to college student is one of the most stressful and important times in a teenagers life. The college years are a time where a student leaves their high school teachers and friends behind, and embarks on a journey that will give them a head start on their adult years. Years that will form new relationships, start new careers and completely change their lives. In addition to the challenges of being away from home, taking on a tougher course load and learning how to be self-directed, they will also start to learn how to budget money properly.
Money is a key issue for college aged students, or should we say a lack of money. Students in colleges and universities are faced with a full-time course load as well as needing time for studying, school based activities and working on class projects. This does not leave much opportunity to earn money through part-time jobs. Because of the limited amount of time that students have to earn money, it is important to plan ahead.
Before embarking on your college education, it is important to plan for these years. Having a few dollars available to spend on a pizza or at the school store is always advisable. So, in the years prior to starting college, teens should try to earn money and save some of that money for their time in college. Finding work can be difficult, however it is not impossible to find a job where you can work over the summer and even a few hours after school and on weekends.
Another crucial part of your new school experience is properly budgeting your money. Take time to sit down and access your regular expenses and create a budget for your college years. By properly managing your money and sticking to your created budget, you should be able to have money available while in school.
Saving for College
- Saving for College – Helpful page for parents to be used as a guide to help save for college.
- College Savings Center – Useful portal of information covering a variety of topics on college savings.
- College Savings – Information and resources for parents and students on how to save for college.
- Tips for Saving Money – Tips on how students can save money in college.
- Ways to Save in College – Article which provides information for students on saving in college.
- Money Tips for Students – Information for college students on how they can save and manage money in college.
Jobs and Making Money
- Jobs for Students – Information and suggestions on jobs that are good for college students.
- Jobs for College Students – Helpful article with information on ten great jobs for college aged students.
- Summer Jobs for Teenagers – Useful article which suggests ideas on jobs that teens can get during the summer.
- Ways to Find Jobs – Article which suggests ways for college students to find summer jobs.
- Internships – Information on how students can get either internships or summer jobs.
- Budgeting Basics – Useful page for teens with information on how to budget properly.
- Teen Budget Worksheet – Printable worksheet that can help teens learn how to budget their money.
- How to Make a Budget – Helpful page for college students which introduces them to the concept of budgeting.
- College Student Budget – Resourceful page with information and links to help learn about budgets.
- Student Budget Calculator – Informative web page which can lead students to the steps to budget money.
- Budget Mistakes – Article from Fox Business with a listing of six common mistakes that college students make in not following a budget.
- Money Saving Tips for Students – Great guide with many tips on how to save money for students
Managing Your Money
- Student Money Needs – Useful article which discusses fees and interest for college students.
- Wasting Money – Page which provides ten common things that college students waste money on.
- Money Management for Students – Web site which contains useful information about money management.
- Money Management Mistakes – Page which provides information on the most commonly made money mistakes by students.
- Money Management Tips – Tips and suggestions for college students on how to properly manage their money.
- Tips for Students – Article for college students providing a number of helpful tips to manage money.
- Resource On Dealing With Debt – Learn how to properly deal with any debt that you may accumulate
Helpful Resources and Tools
- Money Saving Resources – Money article with seven resources that college students can use to save money.
- College Student Spending – Useful infographic which outlines the typical college student’s spending habits.
- Parent and Student Resources – Collection of forty resources pertaining to money for parents and students.
- College Student Finances – Informative page with financial information for college students.
- Money Management Tips – Helpful article with tips and suggestions that college students can use.
- Money Saving Tips – Suggestions and helpful tips for the college student with ideas on how to save money.
Confused with all this information?
Get answers fast and talk to experts who know the best programs to set up and pay back your student loan debt