New college students face a wide range of challenges during their first year in school. They face challenges such as being away from home for the first time, having to be self motivated in their school work and have to make an entire new set of friends. These make up for difficult times during the freshman year of any new student. These challenges, if not addressed properly, can result in depression and loneliness in their personal life and failure in their academic life.
Because of all the changes that are facing freshmen in college, it is extremely important that they work hard in their studies to avoid getting off to a rocky start in college. Because work in college is more self-directed compared to work in high school, where parents and teachers were able to keep students focused, it is vital for students to keep focused on their school work. This includes attending classes, completing assignment and properly studying for exams.
With all of the external influences that students face in college, finding the proper balance between school work and external activities is very important. Having fun is an important part of the college experience, but students need to focus on their academic work as well. To properly do so, students need to develop proper study habits to give themselves the best chance for success. These habits include creating a good environment to study and complete assignments, coming up with good time management techniques in order to complete your school work and have time for some fun, and many more.
To help students in their academic careers in college, we have provided a number of helpful ideas and resources on topics of importance for students. We hope this information is helpful and contributes to your success in college and in the future. Please feel free to visit this page often or share this with others who can benefit from this information.
- How College Differs from High School? – Informative page which compares college and high school and shows where potential problems could occur.
- Creating a Good Environment – Information on how you can create a proper environment for studying.
- Right Study Environment – Tips on how students can have a good place to study.
- Factors that Influence Studying – Helpful article which discusses the factors that influence studying.
- Study Tips – Article which provides tips for studying in a less than perfect environment.
- Time Management for College Students – Useful publication which provides help for college students in managing time.
- Learn to Manage Your Time – Article which gives students tips on how to learn to manage their time.
- Managing Time for Success – Helpful article which lists ideas on how to manage time in order to have success in college.
- Time Management – Suggestions for college students on how to manage time in school.
- Time Management Tips – Tips and information for students on how to manage time more efficiently.
Developing Study Habits
- College Study Tips – Helpful web site with information and tips on getting good study habits.
- General Study Habits – Useful page for college students to help develop good habits.
- Developing Effective Study Habits – Publication for students which provides effective study habits.
- Effective Study Skills – Informative page which helps students make the most out of their study time.
- Study Skills in College – Tips and ideas for students on how to gain successful study skills in college.
- Student Research Tips – Tips for college students which offers helpful ideas on research.
- Improving Student Research – Guide for students which presents ten tips to improve student research.
- Student Research Tips – General information for students with research tips.
- Tips for Success – Article which lists six tips for students to be successful in college.
- Tips for College Students – Helpful page with information and tips to help college students be successful.
- Test Taking Tips – Helpful page with tips and ideas on how to take tests in college.
- Test Taking Strategies – Useful tips and strategies for students to help prepare for tests and exams.
- Skills in Test Taking – Publication which helps students by developing skills in test taking.
- Test Taking Strategies – Web page which provides tips for college students on how to take tests.
- Hot Tips for Finals – Information and tips in this article which offers the top fifteen ideas on how to take final exams.
- Preparing Effective Presentations – Helpful guide for students on how to make effective oral presentations.
- Public Speaking Skills – Helpful page with information and tutorials for students on how to give effective presentations.
- Oral Presentation Skills – Useful page with information and tips to help students give presentations.
- Public Speaking Tips – Information and ideas for students to become better public speakers.
- Public Speaking Advice – Advice from college students to other college students to give better speeches.